Radio Telephony

To be able to operate a radio you’ll need a FRTOL and we

are able to provide examinations for this certification.

Radio Licence

A Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence (FRTOL) is required if you wish to operate a radio in a UK registered aircraft.

It is a stand-alone licence and valid for the life. We can provide all training in preparation for sitting the assessment ranging from a brush up, to a full day course.

We also offer tailor made courses to suit individual requirements. RT examinations are conducted on site by our in-house RTF examiner.

Who needs a licence?

Anyone wishing to complete an EASA PPL or LAPL. Minimum age is 16 and you must have passed the CAA communications theoretical knowledge exam before sitting the practical examination.

The courses offered are applicable to Aeroplane, Microlight and Helicopter pilots and we are happy to examine those students in need of a FRTOL who do not undertake tuition with us.

English Language Proficiency

Normally not an issue for native speakers. English Language proficiency endorsement (level 4 or better) is now a requirement for all holders of a FRTOL. If English is not your first language, we suggest you check out the CAA website for further information on any additional steps you will need to comply with as part of your FTROL licence.

Send us a message

Get in touch to discuss the courses or services we or if you would just like general information or to arrange to meet an instructor to discuss your requirements.